The Chameleon team have arranged many Costa Rica holidays, this trip is based on our recent visit and includes some more off the beaten track areas as well as some of Costa Rica's popular highlights.
- Enjoy the cloud forest without the crowds at San Gerardo de Dota
- Raft the Pacuare River
- Float through river canyons at Sarapiqui
- Kayak through canals in the forest at Tortuguero
- Climb trees, horse-ride or hike through the jungle at Selva Bananito
- After all that action, relax on a Caribbean beach
- Day 1. To Costa Rica
- Depart in the UK in the morning and fly to San Jose, the capital of Costa Rica where you spend the first night at hotel Don Carlos.
- Day 2. To the Cloud Forest
- You'll be driven to Trogon Lodge in San Gerardo de Dota, an area of cloud forest. A number of activities are possible here including canopy tours, walks and horseriding. Spend two nights here.
- Day 3. Activities in the cloud forest
- You have hiking trip included, then the rest of the day at leisure or you can arrange additional activities with your lodge. You can visit waterfalls, take a canopy tour, horse-ride or take a walk in search of the Resplendent Quetzal.
- Day 4. Pacuare River Rafting
- Today you'll do some exciting rafting through the jungle. A 17 miles ride with stunning natural beauty and exciting Class III and IV white water rapids. Several deep passes covered with lush vegetation are the home of ocelots, monkeys and hundreds of birds. Some of the world´s best rapids are found here. At the end of the rafting, you'll be driven to Sarapiqui where you spend two nights at Hacienda Pozo Azul where you spend two nights in tent suites.
- Day 5. Sarapiqui
- A floating safari is included - this will see you float your way down river at a leisurely pace, observing wildlife on the way. Sarapiqui is a highly biodiverse area - wildlife includes howler monkeys, and toucans. The River Sarapiqui offers some excellent rafting, there are great walking trails and horse rides in the area too.
- Day 6. To Tortuguero
- Travel by road and boat to Tortuguero National Park on Costa Rica's Caribbean Coast. Mangrove coastline famous for its nesting turtles. The network of channels at Tortuguero provide hours of exploration by boat as you look for birds, mammals and reptiles. Monkeys, caiman and otters are all seen regularly. The beaches are nesting sites for four different types of turtle - globally important for these graceful marine reptiles. Spend two nights at Mawamba Lodge.
- Day 7. Tortuguero
- Spend the day in Tortuguero take a guided tour of the canals and in season watch turtles. A 2 hour kayaking trip is included.
- Day 8. Selva Bananito
- Travel to Selva Bananito Eco Lodge by boat and road. Selva Bananito is a beautiful and remote ecolodge in the middle of the rainforest. It adheres to very high standards of responsible tourism.
- Day 9. Selva Bananito
- A canopy tour is included, spend the rest of the day at leisure, or enjoying some of the optional activities on offer which include ctree climbing, waterfall abseiling, horse-rides and walks.
- Day 10. Puerto Viejo
- Transfer to Puerto Viejo where you spend the final two nights on your holiday relaxing on the Caribbean Coast at hotel Cariblue.
- Day 11. At leisure on the beach
- Day 12. Depart Costa Rica
- Return to San Jose by road (about four hours) where you catch you flights back to the UK.
- Day 13. Arrive UK
Tailor-made holidays are just that, tailored to your own individual needs, wants and wishes. As such, each trip is different and each price is different. For pricing, we ask that you discuss your individual requirements with our travel specialists so that they may provide you with a ballpark figure, or a detailed itinerary and quotation. So, for a price, please just get in touch.
Chameleon Tailor Made are experts in helping people arrange their perfect holiday, think of it as a ‘made-to-measure’ service.
If this suggested itinerary has inspired you, please click below to provide us with some basic information about yourself. We will then use this information to present you with a personalised quotation which we believe matches what you are looking for, as well as making further recommendations.
GET A QUOTE
"Kayaking in Tortuguero was a real highlight of my visit to Costa Rica. I paddled past howler monkeys, caiman, iguanas, turtles and a huge variety of birdlife." Dan Painter, Travel Consultant
in Costa Rica
At a height of 1,633 metres, the stunning cone of…
At the southern end of Costa Rica's Caribbean…
Atmospheric cloud forest alive with plants and…
Osa & Golfito
Where beach meets rainforest with jaguars &…
The Pacific has some fantastic beaches. On the…
Rincon de La Vieja
Spectacular volcanoes, forests and adventures.…
San Jose, the capital of Costa Rica is home to…
Tropical Sarapiqui is in the heart of Costa…
Go turtle watching on this mangrove coastline…