Best of Jordan
This tailor-made holiday to Jordan takes in what we consider to be all the best bits: Roman ruins of Jerash, the Dead Sea, a jeep tour of Wadi Rum and a night in a Bedouin Camp, Crusader Castles, nature reserves and of course the spectacular archeological site of Petra.
This tailor made holiday to Jordan takes in what we consider to be all the best bits. From Amman, you head north to the Roman ruins of Jerash, Ajloun Forest and Umm Qais. Next, following the River Jordan valley south, you reach Bethany Baptism Site and the Dead Sea. Heading into the mountains you'll visit Karak castle on the way to the wonderful Dana Nature Reserve where there is some excellent walking. Two full days are spent at Petra with a guided tour and time to explore on your own. A jeep tour of Wadi Rum with a night in a Bedouin camp is included before spending your final night in Madaba with a visit to Mount Nebo.
The Chameleon team have arranged many holidays to Jordan over the years and have prepared the following itinerary based on our personal recommendation and experience. This journey gives a great overview of this fascinating country.
- Explore the well preserved Roman ruins at Jerash
- Walk through tranquil Mediterranean forest and see the castle of Ajloun
- Enjoy views over the Sea of Tiberias from Umm Qais
- Travel along the River Jordan Valley visit the site of Jesus's baptism
- Float in the Dead Sea
- Hike in Dana Nature Reserve
- Marvel at one of the world's best archaeological sites - Petra
- Spend a night in desert at Wadi Rum amongst the dunes and rocky mountains
- Day 1. Fly to Jordan
- Take a daytime flight from the UK to Jordan arriving in the evening. You'll be met at the airport and taken to your hotel in Amman where you spend the first night.
- Day 2. Amman and Jerash
- Take a morning tour of the capital - Amman, visiting the mosque and citadel, then continue to Jerash for a visit to the Roman ruins before continuing north to Ajloun, where you spend two nights at the RSCN's Ajloun Reserve.
- Day 3. Ajloun Reserve and Castle
- Take a walk of approximately four hours through the forest, an area of oak and pistachio trees. Fauna in the reserve includes wild boar, hyena and wolves. Later in the day you'll visit atmospheric Ajloun Castle.
- Day 4. Umm Qais, Bethany Baptism Site and the Dead Sea
- From Ajloun, you'll head to the very north of Jordan and the Roman ruins of Umm Qais perched overlooking the Sea of Tiberius in neighbouring Israel. Now heading south, you travel along the valley of the River Jordan and will notice the rising temperature as you descend to below sea level. Visit Bethany Baptism Site and continue to the Dead Sea where you can enjoy a float in the mineral rich waters and a treatment if desired. Spend one night at the Wadi Mujib Chalets on the shores of the Dead Sea.
- Day 5. Wadi Mujib and Karak to Dana
- In the morning you'll take walk through the canyon of Wadi Mujib. Later leave the Dead Sea behind and travel upwards into the mountains. Visit the large crusader castle of Karak before continuing along the King's Highway to the little village of Dana where you spend two nights at Dana Guesthouse.
- Day 6. Exploring Dana Nature Reserve
- Enjoy a full day walking in Dana Nature Reserve, an area of craggy mountains, valleys and sand dunes. You may catch a glimpse of some wildlife which includes ibex and hyena.
- Day 7. To Petra
- Leaving Dana you travel via the interesting site of Little Petra before arriving in the town of Wadi Musa, your base for visiting Petra.
- Day 8. Guided tour of Petra
- Following breakfast, you'll have a full day exploring the breathtaking archeological site of Petra. The ancient city was built from 800 BC to 100 AD by Nabetean Arabs. Petra covers an area of about 100 square km, where over 800 monuments can be found. Petra is Jordan's number one tourist attraction, known as the "rose-red city half as old as time". The Khazneh (the Treasury), starred in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
- Day 9. Continue your explorations of Petra
- You have the day to revisit Petra and explore further on your own. It is a huge place, and its easy to escape the crowds and find yourself a corner all to yourself.
- Day 10. Wadi Rum
- Travel to Wadi Rum, otherwise known as Valley of the Moon, the landscape of Wadi Rum with its immensity, colour and awe-inspiring shapes creates an almost supernatural atmosphere. Bedouin camps are evident in the Wadi, which is still home to a number of Bedouin families, who welcome visitors with the hospitality and generosity that Bedouins are so famous for. Spend the day driven by the Bedouin in a 4X4 around the desert. Camp overnight in a fixed camp.
- Day 11. To Madaba
- Following a Bedouin breakfast you leave the Wadi and head north to Madaba for your final night in Jordan.
- Day 12. Madaba and depart
- You'll spend the morning visiting the city of Madaba, known for its many mosaics and Mount Nebo. Transfer to the airport for your evening flight home.
The tour includes transfers throughout, though if you prefer we can arrange a self-drive holiday following the same itinerary.
Tailor-made holidays are just that, tailored to your own individual needs, wants and wishes. As such, each trip is different and each price is different. For pricing, we ask that you discuss your individual requirements with our travel specialists so that they may provide you with a ballpark figure, or a detailed itinerary and quotation. So, for a price, please just get in touch.
Chameleon Tailor Made are experts in helping people arrange their perfect holiday, think of it as a ‘made-to-measure’ service.
If this suggested itinerary has inspired you, please click below to provide us with some basic information about yourself. We will then use this information to present you with a personalised quotation which we believe matches what you are looking for, as well as making further recommendations.
GET A QUOTE
Jordan’s capital, Amman covers 19 hills, much of…
At 400 metres below sea level, the Dead Sea is…
The vast and largely empty desert stretching to…
The ancient city of Jerash has been occupied by…
Travelling south from Amman, the King’s Highway…
Dana is the most well-known nature reserve in…
All holidays to Jordan must include Petra! It's a…
A thin sliver of Jordan meets the Red Sea at…
The desert wilderness of Wadi Rum is formed of…